LEGAL REQUIREMENTS FOR MARRIAGE IN AUSTRALIA
In Australia there are some processes to follow in order to be married legally. Most people don’t know “How to get married” unless they start investigating. Here’s what you need to do as a minimum to Get Just Married®…
• Before a marriage can be performed, the law requires that you sign and lodge with me a Notice of Intended Marriage (NoIM) form a minimum of one calendar month and one day prior to the wedding. You can lodge your Notice in person, via fax, email or mail, but you must bring the original Notice with you when we meet. The NoIM form will remain active for 18 calendar months from the date of lodgement. You can download the NoIM form here.
• You must be at least 18 years of age to marry in Australia
• If you are Australian born you must show an original copy of your birth certificate. This can be obtained at the Births Deaths & Marriages Registry Office of your state of birth (New South Wales,Queensland, Victoria, Australian Capital Territory, Western Australia, South Australia, Northern Territory). If born outside Australia, you are required to show your birth certificate or passport from your country of birth. If these documents are in a language other than English, you will need a certified translation of the documents.
• For persons who have previously been married – an original Divorce Document is necessary and if your previous partner is now deceased, an original Death Certificate is required.
• If you are widowed you will also need the death certificate which can be obtained from the State Registry in the state where the death was registered.
• On the day of your marriage you must have two witnesses over the age of 18. If you are eloping and would like your marriage to be secret, Vows Now can often assist by providing 2 witnesses for your marriage ceremony.
• If you are getting married, your celebrant will provide you with a brochure called “Happily Ever…before and after – important information for people planning to marry“. This brochure includes information on marriage education, counselling, changing your name, taxation, wills, joint ownership and legal obligations. Download the brochure here. More information can be found on our Links and FAQ’s pages.
Have you got a question
Click on the pink chat box icon in the bottom right corner of your screen and start chatting with Johanna right now!
Download our iPhone or Android app today! Book online, stay updated